2018 OVERSEAS OPPORTUNITIES:
teacher - August - APPLY BY May 2018
Vietnam is at the heart of Southeast Asia and has been the launching point of many adventures. You will find everything from the new and exotic to the familiar and comforting in this rapidly developing nation. As the tourism economy booms, English education is the key to a bright future for the country’s youth. That’s where you come in! Young people in Vietnam are very tuned into the world beyond their country’s borders and by volunteering you can provide them the inspiration and education they need to step onto the world stage.
FOR AUSTRALIAN UNIVERSITY UNDERGRADUATES | 1 DEC 2017 TO MID JAN 2018
What are your plans next summer? How about an international program that supports you to volunteer in a new community, immerse yourself in a different culture and develop new skills? Find out more!
Is it for me?
In Vietnam you will help a young generation aspire to new heights, giving them the English language skills they need to succeed. As a volunteer, you will find yourself adapting to a different way of life and thriving on this culturally rich experience. You can focus on developing your sense of independence in a leadership role by teaching your own class of very eager students. Alternatively, if you're not quite ready to take a whole class on your own, you can build your teamwork skills by supporting a local teacher and running English language activities throughout the school day. By committing to this challenge, you’ll find all your efforts result in a truly rewarding experience.
Teaching placements are in colleges and universities and some primary and secondary schools. Volunteers provide students with the opportunity to practice their spoken English by leading activities such as conversation, role playing, singing and debating. A range of extracurricular activities including conversation groups, visiting students’ homes and playing games add great value and enjoyment to the placements. Volunteers may also be asked to teach the teachers and assist in enhancing their confidence in English conversation.
Sports Coaching placements are in local schools assisting and mentoring students in such sports as soccer, basketball, volleyball and badminton.
A small amount of pocket money is paid.
|Lattitude fees (exact costs)|
|Lattitude Application Fee||$150|
|Lattitude Placement Fee||$4300|
|Lattitude In-country Orientation||$480|
|Travel costs (approximate)|
|Travel Insurance (3 months)*||$310|
|Return Airfare (ex Melbourne/Sydney)||$888|
|Total cost (approximate)||$6300|
*Travel insurance is quoted on an Allianz Standard Package with $250 excess
Based on a 3 month placement, this is less than $70 per day!
Other costs associated with your time away may include obtaining a passport, arranging travel vaccinations, purchasing any additional clothing and travel within the country.
Accommodation & Food
Accommodation is either provided on campus at the host institution, or in a nearby flat rented by the host. Food is either supplied or an allowance provided for self-catering.
While the cost of the experience includes food and accommodation, this placement offers an additional living allowance to volunteers in the form of pocket money to cover your day to day expenses.
Before you go:
- We find out more about each volunteer through an interview which helps us select the right people and after a second interview, we match them to a placement that’s right for them.
- Once selected, each volunteer is allocated a Coordinator in the Melbourne office who assists them with all preparations. They provide briefing materials, support with logistics such as flights and visas and are there to answer any questions.
- Volunteer are briefed in person or in an online session to prepare them for their placement ahead.
- All volunteers sign our Code of Conduct to ensure that our expectations of each volunteer are agreed and clear from the outset.
When you're overseas:
- We have paid staff based in each country. Our Country Managers oversee the program and work with a team of Local Representatives who provide support in the local areas and develop close relationships with placement hosts.
- Each volunteer attends a combined five-day orientation and teaching skills course on arrival in Hanoi.
- Volunteers complete their own Learning and Development Plan which helps to identify goals and personal skills they would like to develop, and these areas of development are followed up throughout their time away.
- We work with Embassies and High Commissions to ensure we can respond to any situation and provide 24/7 emergency support from Melbourne.
When you're back:
- We recognise that coming home can be difficult and provide one-to-one support, with onward referrals for further professional support if needed. Volunteers are invited to debriefing events and become part of our network of alumni.
- We undertake reviews against the learning needs identified before going overseas which may form part of a reference provided at the end. A letter can also be provided to use towards an application for Youth Allowance.
Near Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and surrounding areas
You’ll have opportunities to travel during a one-week holiday within your placement as well as after your placement finishes. Vietnam has plenty of adventure to offer you in your downtime! Explore the caves and lagoons of Halong Bay by cruise or kayak; discover the amazing biodiversity of lowland tropical rain forest in Cat Tien National Park; or trek your way through the pristine hills of Sapa. Learn about Vietnamese history in one of Ho Chi Minh City’s many museums or wander through the vibrant markets of Hanoi and experience Vietnam’s fresh and fragrant cuisine. When it’s time to relax, Vietnam has an overwhelming amount of choice when it comes to beautiful beaches. Check out Doc Let, Phu Quoc, or Nha Trang to get away from it all.