Situated on the western coast of Africa, Ghana is a beautiful country with long stretches of stunning beaches, lush vegetation and one of the world’s largest artificial lakes. Hailed as one of Africa’s great success stories, Ghana is reaping the benefits of a stable democracy and fast paced development. However, many Ghanaians live in poverty and volunteer placements really do make a difference. Volunteering in Ghana is a truly rewarding experience.
Is it for me?
Volunteering in Ghana is rewarding, challenging and full of surprises. You’ll need to be ready to adapt to a very different lifestyle and living conditions, fit in with a laid back lifestyle while also using your initiative and resourcefulness at your placement. Ghana is one of Africa’s more diverse and prosperous countries offering a welcoming introduction to the African continent. Outside of your placement you’ll be able to explore the country and witness a range of sights, from beautiful beaches and stunning national parks to lively cities. English is learned at school and widely spoken.
MINIMUM AGE : 18
DEPARTS : JAN & AUG
DURATION : 5 MONTHS
ROLES AVAILABLE : SPORTS COACH & COMMUNITY WORKER
Sports & Community placements engage young people with issues in their own community and help them access training. For this placement you should have an interest in a range of different sports to ready to use sport to raise awareness, train and educate your peers. Some programs support young people who are not in employment, education or training.
One program uses soccer to engage at-risk youth with the centre’s ICT program which will help them develop new skills useful for future work. Lattitude works in partnership with organisations such as Football for Hope which builds on the historic hosting of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and harnesses this enormously popular sport to address education and health challenges in underserved communities across Africa.
|Lattitude fees (exact costs)|
|Lattitude Application Fee||$150|
|Lattitude Placement Fee||$4,400|
|Lattitude In-country Orientation||$450|
|Travel costs (approximate)|
|Travel Insurance (5 months)*||$850|
|Return Airfare (ex Melbourne/Sydney)||$2300|
|Total cost (approximate)||$8392|
*Travel insurance is quoted on an Allianz Standard Package with $250 excess
Other costs associated with your time away may include obtaining a passport, arranging travel vaccinations, purchasing any additional clothing and travel within the country.
LESS THAN $57/DAY
BASED ON A 5 MONTH PROGRAM INCLUDING :
MEALS, ACCOMMODATION, FLIGHTS, VISAS, & INSURANCE
Accommodation & Food
Most volunteers live with a host family providing a unique opportunity to live within the community. Ghanaian society is far more traditional than western society and your hosts will expect you to live as a family member and spend time with them, whilst welcoming you with open arms.
Before you go:
- We find out more about each volunteer through an interview which helps us select the right people and after a second interview, we match them to a placement that’s right for them.
- Once selected, each volunteer is allocated a Coordinator in the Melbourne office who assists them with all preparations. They provide briefing materials, support with logistics such as flights and visas and are there to answer any questions.
- Volunteer are briefed in person or in an online session to prepare them for their placement ahead.
- Volunteers complete their own Learning and Development Plan which helps to identify goals and personal skills they would like to develop, and these areas of development are followed up throughout their time away.
- All volunteers sign our Code of Conduct to ensure that our expectations of each volunteer are agreed and clear from the outset.
When you're overseas:
- We have paid staff based in each country. Our Country Managers oversee the program and work with a team of Local Representatives who provide support in the local areas and develop close relationships with placement hosts.
- Volunteers attend a group orientation on arrival in Ghana and, if needed for their placement, undertake a short teaching skills course.
- Each volunteer is visited at their placement soon after arrival by an in-country staff member to check how things are and provide additional support if needed.
- We work with Embassies and High Commissions to ensure we can respond to any situation and provide 24/7 emergency support from Melbourne.
When you're back:
- We recognise that coming home can be difficult and provide one-to-one support, with onward referrals for further professional support if needed. Volunteers are invited to debriefing events and become part of our network of alumni.
- We undertake reviews against the learning needs identified before going overseas which may form part of a reference provided at the end. A letter can also be provided to use towards an application for Youth Allowance.
2018 Overseas Opportunities:
Sports Coach - September - Apply by May 2018
Placement Locations: Accra & Cape Coast
You will have the opportunity to travel around Ghana at weekends and during holidays. The coastal areas boasts long stretches of beautiful beaches, and provides the chance to visit castles and forts left behind by colonial powers engaged in gold, ivory and slave trading. Heading inland, you can take a safari trip in places such as Mole National Park where elephants, hippos and buffalo abound and elusive lions may be spotted. Festivals are a regular feature in the calendar so there’s often something exciting and unusual happening.