You won’t find a warmer welcome than when you arrive in Fiji. Located in the South Pacific, it is an amazing combination of cultural influences from Polynesian, Melanesian, Micronesian, Indian, and European. Life here is often centered around the village, garden, church, and rugby field with Fijians welcoming you to experience every bit of it. Be a self-starter and discover exactly how you can make a difference in the lives of children with a placement in Fiji!
Is it for me?
Experience the Fijian way of life by integrating into a family and contributing to the vibrant rural community. As school resources are often limited, use your proactive nature and think outside the square to teach your subjects independently. A commited self starter will thrive in this role, creating new tasks as they go. This is a placement for an independently minded volunteer looking to make a difference and gain a rewarding and rich cultural experience in the friendliest country on earth!
MINIMUM AGE: 18
DEPARTURE: JAN, AUG
DURATION: 7 or 4 MONTHS
ROLES AVAILABLE: TEACHER
Teaching placements are in rural areas in schools, where volunteers provide support in various ways as required, including teaching classes, assisting with sports, music and arts or even rolling up the sleeves and helping to paint a classroom or library!
|Lattitude fees (exact costs)|
|Lattitude Application Fee||$150|
|Lattitude Placement Fee||$4,400|
|Lattitude In-country Orientation||$525|
|Additional Travel Costs (estimate)|
|Travel Insurance (4 months)*||$460|
|Return Airfare (ex Melbourne/Sydney)||$775|
|Your Total Cost (approximate)||$6,747|
*Travel insurance is quoted on an Allianz Standard Package with $250 excess
Other costs associated with your time away may include obtaining a passport, arranging travel vaccinations, purchasing any additional clothing and travel within the country.
LESS THAN $32/DAY
BASED ON A 7 MONTH PROGRAM INCLUDING :
MEALS, ACCOMMODATION, FLIGHTS, VISAS, & INSURANCE
Accommodation & Food
Accommodation varies from living in a hostel on site, to staying in a home stay with a local Fijian family. Food is supplied in conjunction with accommodation. Dalo (or taro) and cassava are root vegetables and with rice and fruit are the staple diet in rural areas. In some of the more urban areas, Indian-style dishes may be more common, with the main meal often being a curry with rice and roti.
Before you go:
- We find out more about each volunteer through an interview which helps us select the right people and after a second interview, we match them to a placement that’s right for them.
- Once selected, each volunteer is allocated a Coordinator in the Melbourne office who assists them with all preparations. They provide briefing materials, support with logistics such as flights and visas and are there to answer any questions.
- Volunteer are briefed in person or in an online session to prepare them for their placement ahead.
- Volunteers complete their own Learning and Development Plan which helps to identify goals and personal skills they would like to develop, and these areas of development are followed up throughout their time away.
- All volunteers sign our Code of Conduct to ensure that our expectations of each volunteer are agreed and clear from the outset.
When you're overseas:
- We have paid staff based in each country. Our Country Managers oversee the program and work with a team of Local Representatives who provide support in the local areas and develop close relationships with placement hosts.
- Volunteers attend a five-day group orientation upon arrival in Nadi before travelling on to their placements.
- Each volunteer is visited at their placement soon after arrival by an in-country staff member to check how things are and provide additional support if needed.
- We work with Embassies and High Commissions to ensure we can respond to any situation and provide 24/7 emergency support from Melbourne.
When you're back:
- We recognise that coming home can be difficult and provide one-to-one support, with onward referrals for further professional support if needed. Volunteers are invited to debriefing events and become part of our network of alumni.
- We undertake reviews against the learning needs identified before going overseas which may form part of a reference provided at the end. A letter can also be provided to use towards an application for Youth Allowance.
2018 Overseas Opportunities AVAILABLE:
Teacher - August - Apply by May 2018
Ovalau & Moturiki, Fiji
In Fiji you can experience life in rural villages where you can totally immerse yourself in the local culture! Placements are on the islands of Ovalau and Moturiki. As part of the selection process the Country Manager will help you to determine which placement location is right for you!
You’ll find time to travel at the end of your placement and on the weekends. Be sure to spend some time in Suva, a rich melting pot of ethnicities and cultures. Discover beautiful underwater landscapes on snorkeling and diving trips. Explore the caves and caves formed by volcanoes on the island of Sawa-i-Lau. Hike and trek through the Namosi Highlands and be sure to visit Wainuta Falls while you’re there. Yasawa Island offers an unrivaled sea kayaking adventure not to be missed! At the end of the day, after all that adventure has worn you out, you’ll never be short of beaches to relax on under the shade of a palm tree.
you might also like:
7 months not enough time away?
Add on a 6 month placement in Australia or New Zealand
Placements are located in some of the country’s most welcoming and exciting schools. You will have the chance to work alongside teachers and build strong relationships with the children as you assist with daily duties around the school and are integrated into the local community.
New Zealand rewards volunteers with a proactive attitude. You will be expected to throw yourself into all aspects of school life and be positive, friendly and helpful to the staff and students you are working with. The schools will want to make the most of whatever skills you can bring them, be that in sports, music, art, drama or academically.